Monday, November 10, 2008

On this sunny Monday...

let's discuss the second principle of instruction in the Orton-Gillingham method: Systematic and Cumulative.

From Clinical Studies of Multisensory Structured Language Education for Students with Dyslexia and Related Disorders: "Multisensory language instruction requires that the organization of material follows the logical order of the language.

The sequence must begin with the easiest and most basic elements and progress methodically to more difficult material.

Each step must also be based on those already learned. Concepts taught must be systematically reviewed to strengthen memory."

Yesterday I met with tutors that work in our Tutoring Center. We were discussing Direct Instruction and the importance of modeling behavior, specifically problem-solving strategies. I selected a word on a poster (Robinson) and modeled how I would help a student dissect that word. I began by asking the "student" if she knew the word - nicely she determined that she did not (so that made me demo much more believable!). I said, "If it was me, and trying to read a word I didn't know, the first thing I would do is name all of the letters." Then I selected a different word and named those letters. I asked the student to now, if possible, name the letters in our word, Robinson. From there I modeled making the sounds of the letters and then connecting the sounds to determine the word and had her do the same with our word.

That scaffolding technique - building on what is already known - is the main way to move information from working memory to long term memory.

Next week we'll look at Direct Instruction and maybe Diagnostic Teaching. Enjoy your students this week! Remember, create success!

No comments: